Telegram bot doesn't respond

Hi!

I’ve configured Telegram connector precisely following the instruction in the docs, but the bot does not respond to any messages. I’ve seen some users put --enable-api key to the rasa run command. Could it be it or some other thing I am missing?

Thanks!

Hi @BunnyNoBugs,
I am pretty unexperienced with RASA and therefore I simply followed the instructions provided int the Udemy RASA Developer course.
Maybe it helps you? The steps were:

1. Install the desktop app of Telegram and follow the instructions provided by Rasa here
  2. Add the Telegram credentials to your credentials.yml (see description in link above)
  3. start the RASA server rasa run when rasa is up and running, then
  4. start ngrok in another terminal window ngrok http 5005
  5. add the ngrok-URL to your credentials.yml Telegram webhook URL and save the file
  6. restart the RASA server so changes in the credentials.yml get picked up with /stop or CTR+C and rasa run
  7. make sure your action server is running

Futhermore, I added the intent start to my domain.yml, in the nlu.yml I provided the example

- intent: start
  examples: |
    - /start
    - start

and in the rule in rules.yml:

- rule: Greet the user in Telegram
  steps:
  - intent: start
  - action: utter_greet

I hope this will help you.
Ciao, Vio

2 Likes

The thing is that I am using a proxy instead of ngrok. Could this fact be involved?

I run rasa in debug mode and don’t get any notifications about the received messages by the bot.

can you share something regarding this, and as Violetta suggested first try and confirm with us that are you able to chat with the bot, yes then Telegram is working fine and then we will investigate the proxy issue. Good Luck

Sorry, what do you mean?

Telegram in general is working fine for me, i.e. the bot was correctly created

My setup is following: I am working on a server that doesn’t have public ports open. To have a public access to the telegram endpoint I use a proxy that redirects traffic from an open URL to port 8443 on my machine. The proxy is working fine – I have checked it with a simple uvicorn app.

I mean Telegram is connected with Rasa and are you able to talk or get any response or bot is not replying etc to confirm.

What command you are using? can you share some screenshots or errors?

I do rasa run -vv. In the logs I see this (I’ve hidden my bot’s token and my proxy address): https://api.telegram.org:443"GET /bot<MY_TOKEN>/setWebhook?url=<MY_PROXY>%2Fwebhooks%2Ftelegram%2Fwebhook HTTP/1.1" 200 64. This might mean that the connection is OK.

However, the bot doesn’t respond to the messages and in the logs I don’t get any confirmation that the messages were received.

@nik202, should I provide more info?

Disappointed that my question remains without attention… :pensive:

@BunnyNoBugs I’m so sorry, I have not much experience in implementing rasa with Telegram, else I have provided the solution, I agree that I forgot to reply to your post, please accept my apologies. Is your issue still persist?

Thanks for your answer! Yes, the issue still persists and I’ve checked it in different setups.

I’ve tried ngrok instead of proxy and the behaviour was the same as I described earlier. Plus, I’ve checked port 443 instead of 8443 I was using with no result either.

@nik202 Could you please address this issue to someone who could help? Maybe I should try official technical support?

I have no idea about the Rasa Team (person) who are able to provide Telegram related issue? May be you can create the rasa githhub issue?

I have the same issue with rasa telegram integration. I’ve checked via telegram API if the webhook is set after start of rasa server. But the result was that the webhook was not set. After the manual set via REST with http://localhost:5005/webhooks/telegram/set_webhook the integration works.

I’m using Rasa Version 3.3.0 and Python Version 3.9.