Pip install rasa installing wrong rasa (Cisco software)

Good morning:

When I install rasa through pip install rasa, this specific rasa is being installed instead of the rasa I want. Obviously this is not what I intended to install.

It seems that pypi is having trouble identifying both versions, since the versions of the CISCO rasa do not end at 0.0.5 and instead exactly follow the rasa chatbot versions, even mimicking the pre-release at 2.2.0a1.

The output of pip show rasa shows as name:

Name: rasa
Version: 0.0.5
Summary: A wrapper Cisco ASA REST API
<etc...>

which obviously points to the fact that pip is installing the wrong rasa. Is there anything that can be done, besides downloading and building from source? Thanks in advance.

What python version do you have? Using pip should actually link to pip3 since rasa requires Python3. You can also see some good answers here in this StackOverflow thread: macos - pip or pip3 to install packages for Python 3? - Stack Overflow

What I usually do is go directly for pip3 install <package_name> when I want to install anything.

1 Like

Hi, I have python 3.9. Iā€™m currently investigating, and I found somewhere else that rasa supports up to python 3.7.6, so that might be the issue. I will provide additional details if I find a solution.

Someone had a similar issue a while ago with installing rasa and MacBook Pro: Zsh: command not found: rasa on MacBook pro šŸ’» - #3

Downgrading to Python 3.7.x helped solve their issue too!

1 Like

Indeed, that was the issue. Downgrading to python 3.7 worked, pip[3.7] now finds the correct rasa package. It seems that rasa is not supported on higher versions. Thank you.

1 Like

My pleasure! Best of luck with your chatbot design.

1 Like