Errors running rasa init on VSCode

Hi there,

this is my first time using rasa and I’m trying to use Rasa in VSCode to test the functionality and get to grips with it.

However, after installing rasa, i get this error when running rasa init:

rasa init rasa : The term ‘rasa’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and * try again. At line:1 char:1 + rasa init *+ ~~~~

• CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (rasa:String) [], CommandNotFoundException*
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException*

I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Python many times over, the same with rasa. If this is extremely obvious or blatantly stupid, I apologise but any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Edit

I have followed the rasa install instructions using pip3 install rasa in the terminal and it doesn’t throw up any errors until I try to run rasa init

@spuds can you please mention in brief, what steps are you using to install & run rasa and work with VScode?

I have made an edit to the initial post :slight_smile:

@spuds Please share rasa --version

@spuds Hi, Just create the python virtual environment with python 3.7 or 3.8

@spuds Activate virtual environment

@spuds Install pip version to 20.0.2

@spuds pip install pip==20.0.2

@spuds Install rasa

pip install rasa==2.8.0
 pip install rasa-sdk==2.8.0

@spuds check rasa version rasa --version

@spuds rasa train

@spuds rasa shell --debug

I would encourage install the latest version of Rasa If you have started learning Rasa.

For running the code in VS code:

1. Open the workspace i.e your project folder
  2. Type Ctrl+Shift+P Python interpreter will be open
  3. Select your Python environment or you can manual do this will activating environment for both teriminal conda activate <env name> for rasa and rasa action server.
  4. In terminal you will see your environment run rasa shell --debug if you not train train the model first whilst using rasa train

I hope it will solve your issue. Good Luck!

Thank you very much for your help, I’ve finally got it working :slight_smile:

1 Like

@spuds always welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like