Introducing RASACode - An (unofficial) Visual Studio Code extension for RASA Projects!

Hi!

I’m Shree. I’m the guy who wrote the RASA-X Quick Install script a bunch of years ago, back when RASA-X Community was still a thing. (I had to make a new account because I lost access to the old one… :frowning: )

I would like to introduce a personal project of mine that I’ve been working on for a month or so in my spare time now.

RASACode

What?

RASACode provides linting functionality to new and existing RASA projects. It automatically scans your project for errors and improvements, so you don’t have to worry about missing another one of those pesky intent declarations again.

Without RASACode

With RASACode

RASACode also provides a Project Browser, which lets you see your whole project at a glance.

Great! Where can I get it?

Given the very early release of the extension, RASACode is available only as a .vsix extension file, which you can download here. .vsix files are packaged extension files, and are fairly simple to install. RASACode will be available on the Visual Studio Code Marketplace once it exits early beta.

How do I use it?

While in the root of your RASA project directory, simply open up the RASACode panel from the side bar, and hit Initialize RASACode

Alternatively, you can also initialize RASACode through the Command Palette. image

Doing so will create a .rasacode file in your root directory. This file can be safely added to your .gitignore or .dockerignore files. Deleting this file will simply disable RASACode for that particular directory.

I’d like to report a bug, or request for a feature!

Please feel free to create an issue in the RASACode GitHub repository. While I can’t guarantee every single feature request will make it in, I will definitely consider all of them.

Anything else I should know?

A couple of things:

• RASACode doesn’t modify your existing files in any way. That being said, if you’re trying it out with an existing project, I would recommend you create a backup just in case.

• RASACode does NOT detect or handle errors related to YAML syntax or structuring. This may be a feature implemented later on, but for now, I recommend you also install a YAML Linter.

• I appreciate all feedback, good or bad.

• Bear in mind that this is the first extension that I’ve ever written, in my spare time. I can’t guarantee any quality of code or timeframe for fixing bugs or implementing feature requests.

========================================

That’s all! I hope you find RASACode helpful in your projects!

2 Likes