Rasa v1.0 lacking detailed logs like previous versions

Hi all,

Before Rasa v1.0, I used to be able to get detailed logs by default whenever running from shell or the server. Basically all messages that displayed in cmd would get saved to a log. The docs still say that by default logs get saved to rasa_core.log, but now the only thing that gets saved is the start up message. I’ve tried including the debug flag and explicitly listing the log file, but no other messages get saved.

Current logs always just look like this:

2019-07-12 12:00:20,917 [DEBUG]  Available web server routes: 
/webhooks/rest                                     GET                            custom_webhook_RestInput.health
/webhooks/rest/webhook                             POST                           custom_webhook_RestInput.receive

Is this the intentional and detailed logs get included or is there something wrong with my set up?

I’m starting the server with: rasa run -m models --endpoints endpoints.yml --port 5002 --credentials credentials.yml --log-file rasa_core.log --debug

It would be really helpful to have the old logs as I used it for recording conversations or if the server got closed. I’ve seen it mentioned that Rasa X takes logs, but I’m currently not using it and would prefer logs to be saved directly from the server if possible.

Thanks

To clarify, I used to be able to get logs looking something like this:

Rasa process starting
Added 'nlp_spacy' to component cache. Key 'nlp_spacy-en'.
Available web server routes: 
static                                             GET, OPTIONS, HEAD             /static/[filename]
custom_webhook_RestInput.health                    GET, OPTIONS, HEAD             /webhooks/rest/
custom_webhook_RestInput.receive                   OPTIONS, POST                  /webhooks/rest/webhook
Rasa Core server is up and running on http://localhost:5002
Creating a new tracker for id 'test'.
Received user message 'hi' with intent '{'name': 'greet', 'confidence': 0.6400831082282148}' and entities '[]'
Logged UserUtterance - tracker now has 2 events
Current slot values: 
	target: None
	target_found: None
	user: None
Current tracker state [None, {}, {'prev_action_listen': 1.0, 'intent_greet': 1.0}]
There is a memorised next action '23'
There is no active form
Predicted next action using policy_2_MemoizationPolicy
Predicted next action 'action_identify_user' with prob 1.00.
Calling action endpoint to run action 'action_identify_user'.
Action 'action_identify_user' ended with events '['SlotSet(key: user, value: test)']'
Current tracker state [{}, {'prev_action_listen': 1.0, 'intent_greet': 1.0}, {'slot_user_0': 1.0, 'prev_action_identify_user': 1.0, 'intent_greet': 1.0}]
There is no memorised next action
There is no active form
Predicted next action using policy_0_KerasPolicy
Predicted next action 'utter_greet' with prob 1.00.
Action 'utter_greet' ended with events '[]'
Bot utterance 'BotUttered(text: Hi test, data: {
  "elements": null,
  "buttons": null,
  "attachment": null
})'
Current tracker state [{'prev_action_listen': 1.0, 'intent_greet': 1.0}, {'slot_user_0': 1.0, 'prev_action_identify_user': 1.0, 'intent_greet': 1.0}, {'prev_utter_greet': 1.0, 'slot_user_0': 1.0, 'intent_greet': 1.0}]
There is no memorised next action
There is no active form

Hi @sihsob,

Looks like a bug - we intend for the logs to be as you’ve shown in your second message. Would you mind writing up an issue for it?

Sure I’ll write up an issue. Thanks for getting back to me about it :slight_smile:

Hi @sihsob, I’m currently facing the same issue on Rasa 1.1.3. Did you raise an issue for this and was this rectified please? It would be great if you could provide me with the link for the same.

Hi @naag,

Yes, the issue has been resolved and fixed. I’m currently on Rasa 1.2.2. This was the issue that I raised. I did notice that it looks like they no longer output by default if you don’t provide the --log-file flag, so just include that and you should see the detailed logs as before.

Thank you very much @sihsob!