Rasa NLU in the new joined repo/docker

Original instructions showed how to expose an NLU endpoint alongside Rasa core: rasa_core/docker_walkthrough.rst at master · RasaHQ/rasa_core · GitHub

I don’t see how to do this in the new rasa combined repo as the NLU related parts are gone: rasa/running-rasa-with-docker.rst at master · RasaHQ/rasa · GitHub

I’m looking to both run Rasa core/nlu for a facebook bot AS WELL as be able to be able to probe the NLU to get the list of intents for a phrase (used to be /parse on the RASA NLU endpoint default port 5000).

1 Like

Hi @alec1a,

I think what you are looking for is:

https://rasa.com/docs/rasa/nlu/using-nlu-only/

If you need further help, feel free to ask!

Regards

@JulianGerhard I am also migrating a bot that uses separate NLU & Core containers and docker-compose as recommended.

In the prior Rasa releases, this started an NLU at port 5000 and a Core at 5005.

The link you provided to @alec1a shows the command to start a separate NLU with the new Rasa 1.0. When I run the suggested command the output shows:

nlu       | 2019-06-16 23:19:25 INFO     root  - Starting Rasa Core server on http://localhost:5005

It starts a Core server at port 5005. Not an NLU server at port 5000.

Where is the example of a docker-compose setup for Rasa 1.0 with separate NLU & Core?

I was able to meet this use case only by launching a container for NLU functionality and a container for Core functionality (same container twice now that they’re joined)

rasa:
    image: rasa/rasa:${RASA_TAG}
    ports:
      - 5005:5005
    volumes:
      - ./volumes/containers/rasa/:/app
    command:
      - run

rasa_nlu:
    image: rasa/rasa:${RASA_TAG}
    ports:
      - 5000:5005
    volumes:
      - ./volumes/containers/rasa_nlu/:/app
    command:
      - run
      - --enable-api
      - -m
      - models/

If someone has a better solution without separate containers would be happy to hear it. :grinning:

In theory perhaps something like supervisord could run two rasa processes in the same docker container with different arguments. Not sure if there are negative repercussions to that.

Hi,

I am on vacation until wednesday. If not already obsolet, I will take a look upon after returning!

Regards

1 Like