RASA 1.5.1 - Empty response on action server from docker-compose

We are using Rasa 1.5.1. since that was suggested to fix this problem but it is still there.

So we have docker-compose and have it running locally, rasa server is running perfectly…

But when the action server gets called it doesn’t do anything and returns empty response.

This is our code :

@hjelga

Please don’t use latest. Please use 1.5.1 for the rasa image and also 1.5.1 for the rasa-sdk image.

Thank you @Tobias_Wochinger this worked! could you give me some info of how I would deploy docker image of rasa to heroku?

@hjelga Great! :tada: Sorry, I don’t have a lot of experience with Heroku. However, shouldn’t be to different from the normal setup, right? Or which issues are you running into?

We want to deploy our docker-images to heroku, but heroku provides ports on runtime and doesn’t listen to EXPOSE in docker. So there has been a real struggle to let the COMMAND take in $PORT over existing rasa docker images.

The big problem is when heroku reads in the dockerfile it adds \ infront of variables.

We managed to get it working in the end by not using the rasa docker image image and making a script including $PORT to make it possible to decide on PORT on runtime. image

If you have better solution please tell me :slight_smile:

The big problem is when heroku reads in the dockerfile it adds \ infront of variables.

Is that still a problem or did you solve it?

We managed to get it working in the end by not using the rasa docker image

Can’t you extend the original rasa image and overwrite the entrypoint / cmd?

Is that still a problem or did you solve it? It was the problem and it stopped when we ran the CMD with script.

Can’t you extend the original rasa image and overwrite the entrypoint / cmd? Yes we tried to overwrite the entrypoint but the problem with the script however seems to be user permission on Heroku so we seemed to be on start point again. At this point it is working like I showed earlier with implementing our own Docker image, will we have problem in the future not implementing the stuff the offical docker image has?

but the problem with the script however seems to be user permission on Heroku so we seemed to be on start point again.

Can you please describe the problem with the permissions?

will we have problem in the future not implementing the stuff the offical docker image has?

Well, whenever we change things in the docker images (e.g. adding a system dependency), you’d have to adapt which is obviously not ideal.

Hi Team, We’re having a similar kind of issue. But we’re using single container to run core and actions server.

Core is working properly. But when a custom action is made actions server gets the response from our custom API’s but it’s not dispatching the response back to core . core.log (77.6 KB) actions.log (100.2 KB) actions.py (3.6 KB)

To add to my previous point, we’re using python 3.6 image as our base image and building Rasa components over it