Issue running Rasa Open Source on Google Cloud Run: Could not load model due to [Errno 39] Directory not empty

Hi,

I’m trying to deploy Rasa Open Source on Cloud Run and use it’s webhook REST endpoints

I did a rasa init with the following command:

docker run -v $(pwd):/app rasa/rasa:3.0.6 init --no-prompt

Then, created a Dockerfile with following contents:

FROM rasa/rasa:3.0.6
USER root
COPY . /app
WORKDIR /app
USER 1001
RUN rasa train
ENTRYPOINT ["sh", "-c", "rasa run -p $PORT"]
CMD ["sh"]

On my local Ubuntu 18.04 when I run this docker I see no error.

Running on local:

docker run -e PORT=8080 -p 8080:8080 babblebots/rasa-simple:latest

I can call the webhook endpoint as follows:

curl --location --request POST 'http://localhost:8080/webhooks/rest/webhook' \
> --header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
> --data-raw '{
>   "sender": "test_user",
>   "message": "Hi"
> }'
[{"recipient_id":"test_user","text":"Hey! How are you?"}]

After deploying to cloud run the behaviour is different.

I see following error in logs:

ERROR rasa.core.agent - Could not load model due to [Errno 39] Directory not empty: '/tmp/tmpfnrvrdqf'.
INFO root - Rasa server is up and running.

On doing the same REST call on the cloud run app I get empty response with following message in logs:

INFO rasa.core.agent - Ignoring message as there is no agent to handle it.

Any insight here would be valuable. Thanks in advance.

For Demo:

FROM rasa/rasa:3.0.6
WORKDIR  '/app'
COPY . /app
USER root

RUN  rasa train 

VOLUME /app/models

CMD [ "run","-m","/app/models","--enable-api","--cors","*","--debug" ,"--endpoints", "endpoints.yml", "--log-file", "out.log", "--debug"]

EXPOSE 5005

update you port, I mentioned the generic port.

I changed the Dockerfile like above. Running cloud run instance on port 5005 now. This did not change the outcome though

2022-02-07T05:16:37.363167Z2022-02-07 05:16:37 ERROR rasa.core.agent - Could not load model due to [Errno 39] Directory not empty: '/tmp/tmpxjw4yz_2'.
2022-02-07T05:16:37.363180Z2022-02-07 05:16:37 INFO root - Rasa server is up and running.
2022-02-07T05:19:04.914524Z2022-02-07 05:19:04 INFO rasa.core.agent - Ignoring message as there is no agent to handle it.

Still getting empty response on calling webhook API

@jsingh check on the docker that you were able to mount the volume or not and able to see all the data?

It’s difficult (maybe even not possible), to exec into the docker container running on Google cloud run. Not sure how that can be done.

As I said earlier, when the same docker runs on my Ubuntu 18.04 everything works fine.

The following error:

ERROR rasa.core.agent - Could not load model due to [Errno 39] Directory not empty: '/tmp/tmpxjw4yz_2'.

Tells me there is a requirement for /tmp/ folder to be empty but somehow in cloud run it’s not. I have also tried to empty the /tmp/ folder just before doing ‘rasa run’ but still got the same error.

@jsingh Try following these steps on VM: Dockerizing my rasa chatbot application that has botfront - #11 by nik202 and let me know is it working or not.

Thanks @nik202 . Appreciate your detailed response.

I am able to run my Docker instance on Google Compute Engine VM so taking that route for now. Interestingly cloud run also requires more memory than normal GCE VM.

I suppose this problem is specific to cloud run environment only. So if anyone had tried deploying Rasa on cloud run maybe able to point out the issue here.

@jsingh Thanks for the. feedback, can I request you to please close this thread as solution.

Ok. In summary, cloud run does not seem to be compatible with Rasa for now, unless somebody can solve this one.

I’ve stumbled upon the same issue. Anyone found a way to run it on Cloud Run?

It’s such a bummer to require a whole Compute Instance only for these tmp folder issues.

I deployed Rasa on Cloud Run, this is my Dockerfile:

FROM rasa/rasa:3.5.2-full as step1

USER root

COPY ./app/ /app/

RUN pip3 install --no-cache-dir spacy
RUN python -m spacy download pt_core_news_sm
RUN python -m spacy link pt_core_news_sm pt

FROM step1 as runner

COPY --from=step1 /opt/venv /opt/venv

# make sure we use the virtualenv
ENV PATH="/opt/venv/bin:$PATH"

# update permissions & change user to not run as root
WORKDIR /app
RUN chgrp -R 0 /app && chmod -R g=u /app
USER 1001

# the entry point
# EXPOSE 5005
ENTRYPOINT ["rasa", "run"]

My Cloud Run setup has port 5005 and a minimum of 2GiB of memory.