[Fixed] Rasa X training fails / never finishes

Hello,

I recently updated my Rasa X project from ~ rasa 1.2 and the related rasa X version (sorry, did not keep track of the original version!), since then training no longer seems to work in rasa x, and thus the bot no longer works, it cannot follow stories at all and immediately triggers fallback actions whenever it receives a message.

Issue

When using the “Train” button in Rasa X the core model training finishes with “Core model training completed”, but after this the process is stuck and no further training related log entries show up, including when using the argument -v. -vv is hard to parse due to all the web- related log. No new model shows up in the model directory.

Related Issues

This issue seems to be potentially related: Rasa X not updating models rendering bot unusable

Additional Information

• Training using rasa train works, and using rasa shell the bot can be used as before
  • Models trained using rasa train show as “active” in the rasa x ui, however when chatting with the bot it does not follow the stories, and in fact triggers the fallback even on the first message
  • All configuration, NLU and story files are displayed correctly in rasa X

Error Messages

There are no error messages per se, however during core model training with rasa x the following line in red shows up:

Is this a known issue? Are there any steps I can take to get better output to diagnose why the model training does not finish?

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated, as it keeps me from using rasa X for the time being.

Thank you and best regards,
Tao

Hey there Tao, happy to help you try to diagnose this, but I’m confused about what you’re saying:

When using the “Train” button in Rasa X the core model training finishes with “Core model training completed”, but after this the process is stuck and no further training related log entries show up,

here it seems like it is indeed finishing. Or do you mean that it seems that core is training but NLU is not?

Hi Ella,

Sorry for the confusing wording. Indeed the core model training finishes, but the NLU training does not even start, and no model file is generated in the models folder.

I hope that clears up the behaviour, if I can provide any further info or the project as a sample let me know!

Thank you and best regards, Tao

Hi there,

Just wanted to post that the latest version no longer shows this issue. Training in rasa x completes successfully, and the bot follows stories again in rasa x, not just rasa shell.

Thank you and best regards,
Tao

1 Like

Awesome, glad you got it worked out. Sorry I didn’t see your response before!