DeprecationWarning: The truth value of an empty array is ambiguous. Returning False, but in future this will result in an error. Use `array.size > 0` to check that an array is not empty

Hey guys, I am getting this deprecation warning when I am running dialogue_management_model.py.

“DeprecationWarning: The truth value of an empty array is ambiguous. Returning False, but in future this will result in an error. Use array.size > 0 to check that an array is not empty.”

Please help me to understand this warning.

What exactly are you doing? If you search for the error, you will find a couple of explanations, e.g. python - sklearn DeprecationWarning truth value of an array - Stack Overflow

Python Pandas follows the numpy convention of raising an error when you try to convert something to a bool. This happens in a if or when using the boolean operations, and, or, or not. It is not clear what the result of.

example

5 == pd.Series([12,2,5,10])

The result you get is a Series of booleans, equal in size to the pd.Series in the right hand side of the expression. So, you get an error. The problem here is that you are comparing a pd.Series with a value, so you’ll have multiple True and multiple False values, as in the case above. This of course is ambiguous, since the condition is neither True or False. You need to further aggregate the result so that a single boolean value results from the operation. For that you’ll have to use either any or all depending on whether you want at least one (any) or all values to satisfy the condition.

(5 == pd.Series([12,2,5,10])).all()
# False

or

(5 == pd.Series([12,2,5,10])).any()
# True