Chatbot UI: connect frontend to bot

(Laura Perge) #1

Hey guys,

So I went through most topics regarding running your bot with a webchat frontend. I could also implement one of the recommended premade interfaces (scalableminds).

Now, I needed an Angular version instead of the above mentioned React based one but I am not too familiar with web development. So, I tried forking the chatbot UI by @JiteshGaikwad. I tried the RestInput channel I also tried using the custom input channel from scalableminds and change this line accordingly but I have the following issues:

• The RestInput version doesn’t seem to respond. I run the action server and I run python -m rasa_core.run --core models/dialogue --nlu models/nlu/default/newbot --endpoints endpoints.yml --credentials credentials.yml --debug. Now, the server is up, I can send the bot messages through Postman and it responds correctly. But the frontend keeps showing the default error message (Sorry I wasn’t able to understand your Query. Let’s try something else!). In the meantime, I see this in the terminal: OPTIONS /webhooks/rest/webhook HTTP/1.1" 200 137 0.000993 and the action server also seems to be running actions.

• Therefore I tried with changing back my credentials.yml as it is for the scalableminds version and changing the url in the line mentioned above in the intro (again I was running the bot and the action server with the same commands on the terminal). I can talk to the bot using Postman the same way. However, when I write the bot in the chat window, it responds with ‘undefined’ many times. In the terminal, I can see that the bot receives the input from the window, classifying it and fining a response to send, but somehow the response never ends up in the frontend.

@JiteshGaikwad, could you maybe point out where I go wrong with my implementation?

(JG) #2

hey @lauraperge, while running the rasa core server you din’t add the --cors “*” arguments, thats the reason you are getting the above error.

(Laura Perge) #3

Great, it is solved, thank you for the quick answer!

(Laura Perge) #4

Okay, so for the sake of clarity:

1. The RestInput version worked well with the modification advised by Jitesh. I also found the video where he mentions this with some lag on my side :slight_smile:.

2. I can also easily use the custom channel implementation of scalableminds with Jitesh’s nice UI, by making a small change in his script.js:

//------------------------------------------- Call the RASA API--------------------------------------
	function send(text) {

var dataToSend = JSON.stringify({
            "recipient_id": "user",
            "message": text
        })

$.ajax({
            url: 'http://localhost:5005/webhooks/chatroom/webhook', //  RASA API
			type: 'POST',
			headers: {
                'Content-Type': 'application/json; charset=utf-8'
            },
            dataType: "json",
            data: dataToSend,
            success: function (data, textStatus, xhr) {
                console.log(data);

if (Object.keys(data).length !== 0) {
					for (i = 0; i < Object.keys(data[0]).length; i++) {
						if (Object.keys(data[0])[i] == "buttons") { //check if buttons(suggestions) are present.
							addSuggestion(data[0]["buttons"])
						}

}
				}

setBotResponse(data);

},
			error: function (xhr, textStatus, errorThrown) {
				console.log('Error in Operation');
				setBotResponse('error');
			}
		});

Hope this helps anyone interested!

(SSS) #5

@lauraperge @JiteshGaikwad Can you please help me to do this same thing?