Running a form in the middle of another one

Hi there. I’m new to Rasa and so far loving it.

A special case I came across is that when user is filling a form(call it form A), it is asked if he is qualified for plan Foo. User can answer with yes/no/I’m not sure. Which can be handled by buttons easily.

If user chooses “I’m not sure”, I need to start another form(call it form B) which when filled will let the user know if he is qualified for plan Foo. Then I need to get back to form A and continue.

Is there any way to do this. Starting form B in the middle of form A can be done using rules. But how can I get back to form A again. Form B can also be started directly, so the chatbot should only get back to A if user started with the form A and not always.

Any help or idea is appreciated.

Hi! :blush:

I don’t know it’s possible maybe @ChrisRahme can explain it better for us.

Mayber can try using condition. Checking slots are filled when back to form A

But, why you not putting together? Form A and form B and using conditionals in stories

I think this example - inancial-demo can help you

2 Likes

I would suggest the same as @itsjhonny. Use one form, and implement dynamic behavior to change the slots according to given conditions.

2 Likes

Thanks you and @ChrisRahme very much for your answers.

Switching between forms in the financial bot using conditions and saving previous form seems great if I can get it to work with my own case. I will try that.

Dynamic behavior could work as well and is actually my personal favorite but since my form A is decision tree like form, where each new question depends on previous answer, it is already a bit complicated (specially for non-coders in the team), mixing it with another form might get it too complicated and hard to maintain. Specially since form B can be called using other means as well.

1 Like

This is exactly a use-case I worked with, so what I did is build a database of questions and what their follow-up question would be depending on the condition and build a for loop accordingly, using if for special cases (see example line 1197).

Of course, you can all hardcode it with ifs only as I did before using that database (see example line 1025).

2 Likes

Thanks, that is very helpful specially with example code.

1 Like

Hi am experiencing trouble implementing the dynamic behavior. Here is my code

class ValidatehivNotPregForm(FormValidationAction):
    def name(self) -> Text:
        return "validate_hivNotPreg_form"

async def required_slots(
        self,
        slots_mapped_in_domain: List[Text],
        dispatcher: "CollectingDispatcher",
        tracker: "Tracker",
        domain: "DomainDict",
    ) -> Optional[List[Text]]:
        additional_slots = []
        if tracker.slots.get("hivMeds") is True:
            additional_slots.append("howMedsStored")
            additional_slots.append("hivMedsEnv")
        else:
            additional_slots.append("timeMedIntake")
        return slots_mapped_in_domain + additional_slots

async def extract_howMedsStored(
        self, dispatcher: CollectingDispatcher, tracker: Tracker, domain: Dict
    ) -> Dict[Text, Any]:
        howMedsStored = tracker.get_slot("howMedsStored")
        return {"howMedsStored":howMedsStored}

async def extract_timeMedIntake(
    ) -> Dict[Text, Any]:
        timeMedIntake = tracker.get_slot("timeMedIntake")
        return {"timeMedIntake":timeMedIntake}

async def extract_hivMedsEnv(
    ) -> Dict[Text, Any]:
        hivMedsEnv = tracker.get_slot("hivMedsEnv")
        return {"hivMedsEnv":hivMedsEnv}

Whenever the condition is satisfied in the if statement and the slot “howMedsStored” is filled, I would expect to proceed to another additional slot, but “howMedsStored” is still uttered to infinity. Can someone please help we solve this, been stuck for days.