Retrieval Intents confidence

Does someone know how retrieval intent confidence works? Consider the following example:

Grocery Store Nutrition FAQ

faq/ask_info_fruits

• How many apples a day?
  • What vitamins do apples have?

faq/ask_info_vegetables

• Are there any vitamins in tomatoes?
  • Can you get food poisoning from potatoes?

faq/ask_fruit_types

• How many types of apples are there?
  • What is the difference between green and red apples?

Chitchat

chitchat/food_preferance

• Do you like apples?
  • What kind of apples do you prefer?

chichat/ask_weather

• What is the weather like over there?
  • What do you think about the weather?
  • Is it going to rain?

chitchat/ask _name

• What is your name?
  • What should I call you?

Lets say the user asks the bot: “What apples do you like?” From what I have understood the bot will decide what the intent is by firstly grouping the examples like below:

faq

• How many apples a day?
  • What vitamins do apples have?
  • Are there any vitamins in tomatoes?
  • Can you get food poisoning from potatoes?
  • How many types of apples are there?
  • What is the difference between green and red apples?

chitchat

• Do you like apples?
  • What kind of apples do you prefer?
  • What is the weather like over there?
  • What do you think about the weather?
  • Is it going to rain?
  • What is your name?
  • What should I call you?

and then after it decides (let’s say faq) the intent response selector will decide if it is faq/ask_fruit_types or something else. Is this correct?

The problem with this is that if we have a very detailed faq knowledge base but only a few chitchat cases, on overlapping subjects (like food and fruits) the bot will most likely decide the intent is faq, because chitchat is grouping irrelevant subjects and will have a lower condifence. If I had not used retrieval intents and all these intents were not grouped under chitchat / faq the bot would most certainly chose the correct intent with very big confidence which is food_preference.

How do you go about solving this imbalance because of the grouping of intents?

@kmegalokonomos Thanks for the question. To understand this better: Why would you have anything related to food and fruits inside chitchat intent, if you already have the faq intent which includes examples about them? Basically, can’t chitchat/food_preference be faq/food_preference ?

Thank you for your reply Daksh,

FAQ is related to the grocery store and has a specific custom action that connects to a knowledge base to retrieve further articles etc. We use that same action for all FAQ in the stories.

Chitchat on the other hand has no action triggered in the stories. Its just answering random questions using the response selector when the user wants to play around with the bot.