Rasa + AWS Lambda

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion on how to deploy Rasa in AWS. More specifically:

1. What are the best practices to use Rasa in AWS cloud services?
  2. Can we deploy Rasa in AWS Lambda? I’ve noticed that other people mentioned that it might be currently larger than what can be fitted into a lambda function. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience/workaround/suggestion on how to deploy Rasa in AWS Lambda.
  3. Is there any light version of Rasa that could be fit in Lambda functions, or any guidance to build one.

Thanks!

Best, Behnam

I think Lambda is a great idea. They are stateless which means very cost-effective, but also you’d need to implement one of the persistent data stores for your Tracker implementation, and, almost certainly, the custom one, connecting to DynamoDB. I’ve not seen any code immediately around that does this but it would be very useful.

Also, the default lambda behaviour is that the first request boots up a VM temporarily and keeps it around for about 10 minutes. So the first user of your service (be it human or a bot) will be 6+ seconds. The most efficient solution is almost certainly provisioned concurrency that keeps things warm for you at a slight increase in price. Very cool stuff.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that Lamda is usually a great choice and we can keep it warm to make it faster. However, the problem with deploying Rasa on a lambda is the lambda disk space limitation. The disk space is limited to 512MB and Rasa (at least the default version with no optimization) is way larger than that (~2GB). Therefore, I think Lambda may not be a good choice for Rasa deployment. Please correct me if anyone has any other experiences.