Potential issues with custom "action_session_start" action

Hey there! I’m fairly new to rasa and have started using it for a bot I’m working on. One of things I’m working on is to override the action_session_start default action such that I can lookup a user by their incoming “latest_input_channel” and “sender_id” combination. Further, if there is no user associated with those fields, I’d like to force a followup action to take the user into a form that allows them to “sign up”. In trying to do this, I’ve run into the following issues:

1. When my custom action_session_start action is called, the tracker latest_input_channel field is not set (i.e. comes in as None)

2. When my custom action_session_start action returns a FollowupAction(“some_action”) event, the “some_action” action is not called.

For the first one, it appears that latest_input_channel simply isn’t set on the newly created tracker at the time the action_session_start action is called.

For the second one, I was wondering if after creating a new tracker/session there could be a check to see if there’s a FollowupAction in the list of events prior to handling the message. I think that would make sense to do here: rasa/processor.py at master · RasaHQ/rasa · GitHub

I’m not sure if I’m missing something or perhaps there’s some other way to do what I’m trying to do?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Is it possible to invoke a custom action from action_session_start using FollowUp event? If this is not possible, is there another way? I also tried to forward a message directly to the user via the dispatcher but it doesn’t work

I solved it by scheduling a reminder.