How to get Slack user's username or email who pinged Rasa Core Bot server

I am new to Rasa stack and trying to build sample bot using Rasa core. I want to identify user who pinged the Rasa Bot server from Slack . I want to get either slack username or slack user’s email address, so that I can use that information for further processing such as authentication or retrieve relevant information for the email from database.

this might be contained in the tracker.sender_id? otherwise you have to take a look at their API as to how to extract that

Hi, have you found a way to do this? I’m looking for the same thing, it would be helpful if you could share how you went about doing this, thanks.

@Shank Way to get username and email id of the user from slack. You need to define slack_client beforehand

def slackitems(tracker):
    username = tracker.sender_id
    print("username", username)
    userinfo = slack_client.api_call("users.info", user=username)
    emailid = userinfo['user']['profile']['email']
    return emailid

I’m not sure I completely understand what you mean when you say slack_client but I will look it up, thanks.

Let me try to explain that. Below is the full code snippet which i will use to get mail id or username inside my actions.

from slackclient import SlackClient

SLACK_BOT_TOKEN = "token from slack app"

slack_client = SlackClient(SLACK_BOT_TOKEN)

def slackitems(tracker):
    username = tracker.sender_id
    print("username", username)
    userinfo = slack_client.api_call("users.info", user=username)
    emailid = userinfo['user']['profile']['email']
    return username, emailid

class MAILING(Action):
    def name(self):
        return 'action_mailing'

def run(self, dispatcher, tracker, domain):
        userid, mailid = slackitems(tracker)
        print("userid & mailid of the user who pinged via slack is {0} & {1}".format(username, mailid))
3 Likes

Thank you so much. I had no idea a module called slackclient existed. This is really helpful, thanks again.

1 Like

I have similar problem but I want to extract username from my own website which asks for username and password at the time of visiting the website. I am using webchat interface from this link(GitHub - botfront/rasa-webchat: A chat widget for Rasa and Botfront). How to do that?

hey @chiqui_hm, try the below code for getting user info from slack API’s using python