How do I export Rasa X conversations from Google Cloud VM instance?

I’ve migrated my Rasa X instance to a new Google Cloud VM instance from another gcloud VM server (long story… for some reason certbot wasn’t working on the old server).

I need to delete the original VM on Google Cloud but I’d like to save the old conversation data. The server is set up as instructed in the Rasa Masterclass #9.

How can I export the conversations from the gcloud server? Can I find them in the github repo?

(I’m fairly amateur at coding and working with databases :open_mouth:)

Hey @captain-curious! If you’ve deployed using docker-compose like in that masterclass episode, the /etc/rasa/db folder will contain all of your Rasa X data (not just conversations, but also metadata about your git connection, users, etc). You can SCP this folder to a different machine. If you put it onto a new deployment you can start where you left off!

Another option would be to use rasa export to move your conversations from one rasa X instance to another. This is the best way to approach it if you are going to change deployment methods. However this definitely takes a bit more effort than just SCPing the data if you’re not so familiar with the docker/Rasa setup. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much @erohmensing! Very helpful. I’ll get started on that.

One question…

I’ve already started interactive learning on the new server, so the /etc/rasa/db folder in my new server must already have data in it. but when I try cd db from /etc/rasa it tells me -bash: cd: db: Permission denied so I can’t look at the contents.

If I SCP the /db folder from the old server to the new one, will it mess up my new /db? What will I need to do to merge them?

Re: permissions, you’ll need sudo in order to do stuff with the db. You won’t be able to cd into it, but you can ls to see what’s inside.

Yes, if you scp it over it will overwrite the new db, including scp. If you want to merge your conversations, you should use rasa export (there is no way to merge the metadata around e.g. rasa x users)

1 Like

Got it! Thanks @erohmensing, very helpful.

Hi @erohmensing, Is it possible to extract my conversations data in csv or excel format. If yes how. I have installed rasa x using docker-compose mode. I want to extract my data beaucause i want to do some analysis. Thanks.

Hi @captain-curious, Is it possible to extract my conversations data in csv or excel format. If yes how. I have installed rasa x using docker-compose mode. I want to extract my data beaucause i want to do some analysis. Thanks.

Hi @captain-curious, I want to bash my postgres data for exporting the conversation data. please can you help me for that. I have used the docker-compose installation mode.

Hi @erohmensing I want to bash my postgres data for exporting the conversation data. please can you help me for that. I have used the docker-compose installation mode.