Could not build wheels for ujson which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly

I am facing an issue while installing rasa, ERROR: Failed building wheel for ujson Failed to build ujson ERROR: Could not build wheels for ujson which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly Is there any solution for this?

Are you using windows?

Yes, windows 10 64 bit machine

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\bin\HostX86\x64\cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /W3 /GL /DNDEBUG /MD -I./python -I./lib -I./deps/double-conversion/double-conversion -Ic:\users\user\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\include -Ic:\users\user\appdata \local\programs\python\python36\include “-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\include” /EHsc /Tp ./deps/double-conversion/double-conversion\bignum-dtoa.cc /Fobuild\temp.win-amd64-3.6\Release./deps/double-conversion/double-conversion\bignum-dtoa.o bj -D_GNU_SOURCE bignum-dtoa.cc ./deps/double-conversion/double-conversion\bignum-dtoa.cc(28): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘math.h’: No such file or directory error: command ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\bin\HostX86\x64\cl.exe’ failed with exit status 2

ERROR: Failed building wheel for ujson Failed to build ujson ERROR: Could not build wheels for ujson which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly i tried installing rasa through pycharm and also through anaconda,both throw the same error… please help!! - I have installed microsoft Vc++ build tools and the required softwares

Hi @Sandhyaprasanna20,

On Windows, make sure to use Miniconda and follow the installations guide video:

• Download Miniconda installer for Windows and follow Installation instructions
  • Start ⇒ Anaconda Prompt (DOS)
  • conda create --name rasa-init-demo python=3.7
  • conda activate rasa-init-demo
  • conda install ujson
  • conda install tensorflow
  • pip install rasa

The final step is to Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable:

NOTES:

• On Windows, only conda works well, because it provides precompiled packages for:

• ujson
    • tensorflow
  • Installing tensorflow via pip leads to dependency issues.

2 Likes

Hello @Arjaan Thanks for the steps to install RASA Bot. I would to mention that, i did same step as you stated to follow through Anaconda Command. But still i’m facing the same issue. Failed to build ujson. Here below : ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: command: ‘C:\Users\ravik\miniconda3\envs\chatbot\python.exe’ ‘C:\Users\ravik\miniconda3\envs\chatbot\lib\site-packages\pip_vendor\pep517_in_process.py’ build_wheel ‘C:\Users\ravik\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp_a2tgfwo’ cwd: C:\Users\ravik\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-g84ckseo\ujson Complete output (5 lines): running bdist_wheel running build running build_ext building ‘ujson’ extension error: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 or greater is required. Get it with “Microsoft C++ Build Tools”: Microsoft C++ Build Tools - Visual Studio

ERROR: Failed building wheel for ujson Building wheel for pyrsistent (setup.py) … done Created wheel for pyrsistent: filename=pyrsistent-0.16.0-cp37-cp37m-win_amd64.whl size=56584 sha256=2ce9133294d2bcb39b78585c7e2aeb71e6dc4825f1b69431006556d0a14318a3 Stored in directory: c:\users\ravik\appdata\local\pip\cache\wheels\22\52\11\f0920f95c23ed7d2d0b05f2b7b2f4509e87a20cfe8ea43d987 Successfully built pyrsistent Failed to build ujson ERROR: Could not build wheels for ujson which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly

Please help me. Will wait for your reply.

Thanks

1 Like

Yes me too, I don’t know why rasa has this noisy sort of installation, they should give some installer kind of thing to install Rasa, in fact they have too much dependencies to work with. Yesterday I was too much excited after watching some tutorials and now finding this issue and it makes no sense.

1 Like

Hello I am still facing this issue , even after following the steps . please help

I was also facing this issue. This solved it for me:

You need build tools 14 AND you should have windows 10 sdk installed. You can get both of these easily via the visual studio installer.

I could solve it by degrading ujson package to a previous version. Build tools expects a setup of 8.35 GB which is too much.

conda uninstall ujson

then

conda install ujson==1.35

I am also facing the same issue. Could you Write the Complete Commands to Enter in cmd. I didn’t get What you mean by Build Tools 14. Windows 10 SDK is already installed. I installed Rasa using pip as I oppose installing using anaconda heavy software. Please help me with this issue.

Hi @prn! For build tools and windows sdk, I didn’t use cmd. I had visual studio installer, so I used it to install these two. Build tools had many versions, I installed 14. Then I simply ran pip install rasa.

Ya. When i read the error properly, got to know about visual studio installer. Now I have solved the issue.