Conda install rasa

Why can we not install Rasa using conda command line? It’s one of the few major python packages that I use and is not available in Anaconda. I know I can pip install it into a conda environment, but as most experienced conda users know, it is best not to pip-install a package and then install other packages using conda, because the two do not yet know how to play nicely together.

1 Like

Hi @tomp. The main reason why Rasa is not amongst Anaconda packages is simply because we want to make sure that we can well maintain the possible installation options. Having pip installation as the main option allows us to have enough capacity to update and improve things on time.

Thanks, Juste. So it sounds like a workforce limitation. Do you think this might change in the future?

We don’t have specific plans for that at the moment. However, the feedback from our developer community is very important so if we see that some other installation options are crucial for Rasa developer success we will definitely look into adding them to our roadmap.

It would be great to have a conda package for rasa. I find conda to be a great solution for environment management (it can handle python and non-python dependencies). And using mamba to install packages within an environment is much faster than pip or conda.

There are a lot of packages on conda-forge that are maintained by the community, people other than the maintainers of the upstream packages. So it’s possible the Rasa community could take care of this ourselves. (But unfortunately I can’t volunteer myself.) https://conda-forge.org/docs/user/introduction.html#can-i-contribute-packages-to-conda-forge

cheers, Dennis