Cannot install rasa-x with REI neither locally nor on my server

Hello,

I’m trying to start a new project using Rasa and decided to start with Rasa X.

In my local machine, running Ubuntu 20.04 i installed REI and tried to create a new deployment with the following command:

“rasactl start avcsti --create”

After watiting for a long time I got the following error:

Error: timed out waiting for the condition. Check your deployment status manually with rasactl status

By running rasactl status I get:

rasactl status Name: avcsti Status: Stopped URL: http://avcsti.rasactl.localhost Version: Enterprise: Project path: not defined

I tried once more and I got a similar error:

rasactl start avcsti Error: timed out waiting for the condition

On my remote server (an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS machine), i get similar errors:

rasactl start avcsti --create Error: Error while waiting for Rasa X Database migration status, error: context deadline exceeded

In both machines I’m running Rasactl 1.0.4

@otmarjr please see the video install: Installing and Deploying Rasa X (Using Rasa Ephemeral Installer) - YouTube

I hope this will help you.

Hello @nik202. Thank you for the prompt response.

I watched the video and tried to go along with it, hoping that my previous install would not hamper my ability to match the configurations done in the video. Starting with my local box, I checked my deployments with rasactl list:

CURRENT
NAME STATUS RASA PRODUCTION RASA WORKER ENTERPRISE VERSION
* avcsti Upgrading 0.0.0 0.0.0

After that I tried to remove this deployment: rasactl delete avcsti and created a values.yml to serve as the values file for the new deployment, just as mentioned in the video:

rasactl start avcsti --values-file ~/values.yml

However, it still took several minutes only displaying the “Deploying Rasa X” message and after all I ended up with another error message:

timed out waiting for the condition. Check your deployment status manually with `rasactl status`

Current status is stopped:

Name:        	avcsti                         	
URL:         	http://avcsti.rasactl.localhost	
Version:     	                               	
Enterprise:  	                               	
Project path:	not defined 

Before the video I tried to start using the --debug flag, and I could see several messages indicating that PersistentVolumeClaim is not bound:

2022-03-01T11:16:37.426-0300 INFO Looks like there are no changes for Ingress rasa-x
2022-03-01T11:16:37.428-0300 INFO beginning wait for 34 resources with timeout of 15m0s
2022-03-01T11:16:37.433-0300 INFO PersistentVolumeClaim is not bound: avcsti/rasa-x-rasa-x-claim

2022-03-01T11:29:41.439-0300 INFO PersistentVolumeClaim is not bound: avcsti/rasa-x-rasa-x-claim ^CBye :wave:

@otmarjr are you trying to install rasa x on the local machine? or serve the site (which has server IP address? )

@nik202 Well, I intend to do both: on my local machine and also on server provided by my company.

Due to these issues I encountered so far, I’m focusing now on installing it on my local machine.

@otmarjr then I am sorry current installation of Rasa X (latest 3. x updated installation) or any other will not be able to install rasa x on the local machine (I guess as per my knowledge) as it’s meant to install only on the server-side. Only, one available installation is there, If you want that I can guide you for the same.

Ref: Installation Guide

@nik202 sorry for my ignorance, but isn’t Rasa X officially on release 1.x ? Moreover, it seems that REI supports the local or test installation, as it’s the scenario I’m trying to deploy, according to Installation Guide

I’m by no means a Linux expert, but how can REI detect that my local machine isn’t a server?

yes, I’m aware and expecting this question from your side :upside_down_face: well rasa x documentation needs to be updated, but as per my knowledge rasa 1. x will not be able to install on the local machine.

pinging @Juste for the suggestion and comment on Q: Can we install rasa x latest with the updated installation guide on local machines i.e Mac, Windows, or Ubuntu?

Well, if I cannot install on my local machine, how can I overcome the issues I found on my company’s server?

Last time I tried to issue rasactl start, I got this error back:

Error while waiting for Rasa X Database migration status, error: context deadline exceeded

@otmarjr firstly, please always mentioned me @ nik202

@otmarjr I’d highly recommend trying to install rasa x on the server-side only, start fresh, and follow the video I shared.

OK @nik202. I’m trying to follow the video, but I’m afraid how can I remediate issues I face when my current setup does not respond accordingly to the video. For now, I’m trying to replicate the command on the server side it seems stuck on another issue:

rasactl start avcsti --values-file ~/values.yml

It’s been around 5 minutes I only see this message on terminal:

∙●∙ Waiting for the health endpoint to be reachable
1 Like

@otmarjr check your system internet please, its not able to connect

@nik202 any specific address I should be aware? I cannot see how my server could have any internet connectivity problems, given I have no issues with apt get or pinging external sites.

@otmarjr can you briefly mention the command you are using or time history and it will give you the command you had run.

@nik202 sorry, but I did not get what I should use history command for.

@otmarjr have you seen the video: Installing and Deploying Rasa X (Using Rasa Ephemeral Installer) - YouTube [ check time 4:53] and you will get what it means for.

@nik202 in the video he uses the command only to demonstrate he was on a fresh machine and by the end, to summarize the commands he has shown in the video. However, I haven’t got the same results as in the video.

I’m trying to explain that after running rasactl start avcsti --values-file ~/values.yml, the 7th step on the video, I’m getting an error message, which is not shown in the video. I cannot see how the history command will help me troubleshoot the error I’ve got.

On top of that, I tried to check the server connectivity and explorer rasactl logs, so my history command won’t list the exact same steps on the video. Do you want to make sure I’m running the same commands as shown in the video? Or any other kind of verification ?

Hello,

I’m currently experiencing the exact same issue, and I’ve been trying to resolve it all morning.

If you find a solution please share it, I’ll do the same.

Thanks in advance, i hope some rasa developer manages to help us

However, there is a temporary solution for all your problems… you can run the rasa X server like so

nohup rasa x &

while in the directory of your rasa open source project which is the local mode deprecated

and for your api

nohup rasa run --enable-api --cors “*” &

im not planning on updating rasa anytime soon, so this appears to be an almost viable option

hope this helped you

Hello @raven99p

Are you using REI? Because I’m trying to run it by using the REI and I have no rasa x command available! Moreover, I’m trying to install Rasa X first, so I still have not installed rasa open source.