Looking for a basic database connection working example

Hello!

I have been playing around with the RASA stack and I understand the basics. I have also realised the power of custom actions. I am able to make API calls for my bot. Can anybody point me in the right direction here, I am trying to connect my bot to a basic database where I can fetch information the user is trying to retrieve from the bot. I am not sure how that is integrating with RASA, will that be another custom action?

2 Likes

hey @samarth12,as a suggestion, you can create a api to get data from you database which user requested. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hello,

Like @JiteshGaikwad suggested, API is the best way to connect to a database rather than directly accesing it. We use MongoDB with our RASA bot. We use APIs to connect.

1 Like

Thank you guys! Would you rather suggest using Flask-PyMongo/Flask-MongoAlchemy kind of libraries to do that job? My question is using these libraries directly in my custom action would run and connect RASA to the database?

hey @samarth12 you can use mysql directly into your custom action :

https://www.w3schools.com/python/python_mysql_select.asp

1 Like

Yes, you could use both of them if you want to directly connect to your database. I use APIs fro RASA but for my other applications I often use Flask-PyMongo. The answer to your second question is yes, you will be able to directly connect to your DB from the custom actions.

1 Like

Hello all,

Can you please help me to create a custom action in rasa core ?

I have tried but getting some exceptions when trying to train rasa core . Please find the below details i have modified -

ActionTest.py

from __future__ import absolute_import
from __future__ import division
from __future__ import print_function
from __future__ import unicode_literals

from rasa_core.actions.action import Action
class ActionTest(Action):
    def name(self):
        return 'action_get_weather'

def run(self, dispatcher, tracker, domain):

dispatcher.utter_message('We did not find any weather information for Search by a city name.')
        return

domain.yml

actions:
# templates (as they are reply actions),
# also custom actions if any
 - utter_greet
 - utter_answer_31_days
 - utter_answer_30_days
 - utter_answer_28_days
 - utter_bye
 - actions.ActionTest

stories.md

## story6
* greet
  - action_test

During training am getting the below error -

domains action list. If you recently removed an action, don't worry about this warning. It should stop appearing after a while. 
2018-12-22 20:35:09 WARNING  rasa_core.domain  - Failed to use action 'action_test' in history. Please make sure all actions are listed in the domains action list. If you recently removed an action, don't worry about this warning. It should stop appearing after a while. 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/domain.py", line 314, in index_for_action
    return self.action_names.index(action_name)
ValueError: 'action_test' is not in list

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", mod_spec)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/train.py", line 358, in <module>
    additional_args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/train.py", line 273, in do_default_training
    kwargs=additional_arguments)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/train.py", line 197, in train_dialogue_model
    agent.train(training_data, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/agent.py", line 536, in train
    **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/policies/ensemble.py", line 67, in train
    policy.train(training_trackers, domain, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/policies/keras_policy.py", line 154, in train
    **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/policies/policy.py", line 74, in featurize_for_training
    domain)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/featurizers.py", line 406, in featurize_trackers
    y = self._featurize_labels(trackers_as_actions, domain)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/featurizers.py", line 373, in _featurize_labels
    for action in tracker_actions]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/featurizers.py", line 373, in <listcomp>
    for action in tracker_actions]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/featurizers.py", line 62, in action_as_one_hot
    y[domain.index_for_action(action)] = 1
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/domain.py", line 316, in index_for_action
    self._raise_action_not_found_exception(action_name)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/rasa_core/domain.py", line 325, in _raise_action_not_found_exception
    "".format(action_name, action_names))
NameError: Cannot access action 'action_test', as that name is not a registered action for this domain. Available actions are: 
	 - action_listen
	 - action_restart
	 - action_default_fallback
	 - action_deactivate_form
	 - utter_greet
	 - utter_answer_31_days
	 - utter_answer_30_days
	 - utter_answer_28_days
	 - utter_bye
	 - actions.ActionTest

Can someone help me ? Thanks in advance

Hi @sandeepkumarsahoo, you’ve named your ActionTest class action as ‘action_get_weather’. Use that name to refer your action in the domain and story file.

Just replace actions.ActionTest in domain.yml and action_test is stories.md by ‘action_get_weather’.

@samarth12 yes that was the issue.,and also I forgot to add action_endpoints in endpoints.yml file. Thanks