Does rules need stitched stories?

As per my understanding, we have rules so that we can get the same behavior every time, for eg: if I have the following

`   - rule: greet
      steps:
      - intent: greet
      - action: utter_greet
    - rule: bye
      steps:
      - intent: bye
      - action: utter_bye`

the following tests should work automatically

`- story: greet greet
   steps:
     user: |-
      /greet
      /greet
- story: bye greet
  steps:
      /bye
  - action: utter_bye
      /greet
- story: greet bye
  steps:
      /greet
      /greet
  - action: utter_greet`

but it does not in my case, the actual use case is more complex(have slots, more than one action, etc), which I can share if required but that’s the gist of it.

The weird thing is I am able to pass some of the test cases by adding stories by stitching rules so as to pass my use case but that requires too many stories, as is my case where if I use Augmentation 0 a lot of use case similar to greet bye above fails but with some positive augmentation they are working.

What am I missing in terms of understanding of rules?

Update: I was able to make my model stable by adding more stories, i.e. stitching stories, rules, etc. That works for now, but I have noticed whenever a rule is not successfully identified it is because for some reason the utterance is being predicted by TED instead of the rule, something similar is mentioned here

This post solved the issue for me, by removing the intial_value I was able to get my model stable, I was also able to get rid of stiched rules, though not all. I Will update you when I have more understanding.

Now that we do not have intial_value we were able to get rid of stiched rules, for our bot all the use cases can be handled through rules only so we have zero stories as of now.

Since we have zero stories we also do not need augmentation previously we were not able to get an efficient model without the need for augmentation which made the model vulnerable as the number for augmentation kept on changing.

I am closing this issue now.