Digits and written numbers - are they synonyms?

Imagine an assistant that can tell you the day of the week for today, tomorrow, the day after that, 5 days from now, 10 days from now, 5000 days from now.

People can say “what will be the day 5 days from now” or “what will be the day five days from now”.

1. Should we handle the digit and the written number as synonyms, providing the program with alternative intents for each?
  2. How many of such examples should the program receive as alternative intents for it to be able to figure out that twelve means 12 and hundred means 100? Or is this completely unnecessary for some reason?
1 Like

Check out Rasa’s Duckling component.

It may be different in English but I see many problems with the Hungarian solutions Duckling has in their github, some of these problems exist throughout all kinds of entities.

For example in Hungarian 2 is written as “kettő” when mentioning the number without context, but when referring to “2 things” then it can also be said as “két.” The latter option is missing from everywhere in Duckling, even though it’s by far the more common expression. While it’s correct to use this form too, nobody actually says “kettő nap múlva” (two days from now), we say “két nap múlva.”

So in case I wouldn’t use Duckling and I would rather write my own functions for parsing such texts, how should I deal with digits and their written variations in nlu.md and the stories?

@amn41 could you give me an answer to this one too please? Thanks.