Build smart speaker

We want to build smart speaker which can chat with Chinese students in English, and have following questions:

• Can all models (ASR, NLU, NLP, TTS…) be installed in one server, needn’t connect with other server(such as Google, RASA, Amazon…), as many servers are blocked by China government.

• RASA is free?

• We want speech speed can be adjusted according to request, such as “pardon”, " speak slowly"…, how to realized it in RASA?

• Can it support both Chinese and English at the same time?

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes to all your questions :smiley:

• Yes there are several open source models for ASR(Mozilla Deep speech) → Rasa(NLU, Dialogue), you will train a few models using it and it is open source → TTS (Text to Speech) Mozille Deep speech. I think for ASR there is also Nvidia Riva but i haven’t tried it myself so i can’t say if they are open source also since you are trying to build english bot so you should be fine with open source models
  • yes rasa is open source while rasa X is a community version and there is an enterprise offering as well
  • This looks mostly the job of how well you manage to transcribe english spoken by non-native english speakers andn provide as an input to Rasa. I think your challenge or infact for any ASR is actually understanding english from non native speakers. My alexa at home often confuses my english as well. so this is quite a challenge in general with ASR. if you are able to manage to transcribe it properly then you will have an intent in Rasa called adjust_speech_speed and then an action that can inform the TTS service to configure the speed of reply. Rasa can orchestrate this but this is mostly a challenge in ASR to transcribe the speech correctly and your TTS to adjust accordingly
  • Rasa supports Chinese with a different tokenizer like Jieba while english is whitespace tokenizer and the standard configuration. I know there is a large group of Rasa enthusiasts for Chinese(@howlanderson can help you i guess), I can’t say much about ASR and TTS for chinese
1 Like