How exactly do stories work?

Thanks for the help. I had read the documentation and looked up tutorials multiple times but did not understand it, until I came across this post Does rasa strictly follow stories - #3 by souvikg10

If my understanding is correct, stories are just training data; stories are used to train the chatbot to make responses according to the user’s intent, according to the specific context. They are not used to strictly define what the conversation is supposed to be.

So the problem I am facing with my current chatbot is that my chatbot is trained too well on intent-response groups that were repeated multiple times, like this:

- intent: greet
  - action: utter_greet
  - action: utter_greet_follow_up

intent greet with utter_greet is trained 4 times in stories.md, and more with data augmentation

- intent: mood_great_or_neutral
  - action: utter_happy

intent mood_great_or_neutral with utter_happy is trained 2 times in stories.md, and more with data augmentation

- intent: mood_unhappy
  - action: utter_sympathy

intent mood_unhappy with utter_sympathy is trained 2 times in stories.md, and more with data augmentation

- intent: affirm
  - slot_was_set:
    - want_recipe: true
  - checkpoint: provide_recipe

intent affirrm with slot want_recipe and checkpoint provide_recipe is trained 2 times in stories.md, and more with data augmentation

- intent: deny
  - slot_was_set:
    - want_recipe: false

And lastly, intent deny with slot want_recipe is trained 2 times in stories.md, and more with data augmentation.

Is my understanding correct?