Rasa Open Source 3.3 launched 🚀

Hello Rasa Community!

I’m excited to announce that Rasa Open Source 3.3 has been released, and the docs have been updated. This launch includes a major improvement: Rasa supports native installations on Apple Silicon (M1/M2).

This also includes other updates like, continuous event export , caching message along with some bug fixes. You can find the full release notes here

10 Likes

Hi @sonam, did you or your team had issues while installing Rasa 3.3 on Mac M1? I tried it, I faced package installation error for grpcio. Below are logs for same.

Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/private/var/folders/yp/n4b_22px4b592cw1fddmdnhm0000gn/T/pip-install-c2muo62g/grpcio_62c271f9e9c54cef8abda393504adcb3/src/python/grpcio/commands.py", line 280, in build_extensions
          build_ext.build_ext.build_extensions(self)
        File "/Users/dishantgandhi/miniforge3/lib/python3.8/distutils/command/build_ext.py", line 449, in build_extensions
          self._build_extensions_serial()
        File "/Users/dishantgandhi/miniforge3/lib/python3.8/distutils/command/build_ext.py", line 474, in _build_extensions_serial
          self.build_extension(ext)
        File "/Users/dishantgandhi/Desktop/hoory/hb-training-composer/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/setuptools/command/build_ext.py", line 196, in build_extension
          _build_ext.build_extension(self, ext)
        File "/Users/dishantgandhi/miniforge3/lib/python3.8/distutils/command/build_ext.py", line 528, in build_extension
          objects = self.compiler.compile(sources,
        File "/private/var/folders/yp/n4b_22px4b592cw1fddmdnhm0000gn/T/pip-install-c2muo62g/grpcio_62c271f9e9c54cef8abda393504adcb3/src/python/grpcio/_parallel_compile_patch.py", line 58, in _parallel_compile
          multiprocessing.pool.ThreadPool(BUILD_EXT_COMPILER_JOBS).map(
        File "/Users/dishantgandhi/miniforge3/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 364, in map
          return self._map_async(func, iterable, mapstar, chunksize).get()
        File "/Users/dishantgandhi/miniforge3/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 771, in get
          raise self._value
        File "/Users/dishantgandhi/miniforge3/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 125, in worker
          result = (True, func(*args, **kwds))
        File "/Users/dishantgandhi/miniforge3/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 48, in mapstar
          return list(map(*args))
        File "/private/var/folders/yp/n4b_22px4b592cw1fddmdnhm0000gn/T/pip-install-c2muo62g/grpcio_62c271f9e9c54cef8abda393504adcb3/src/python/grpcio/_parallel_compile_patch.py", line 54, in _compile_single_file
          self._compile(obj, src, ext, cc_args, extra_postargs, pp_opts)
        File "/private/var/folders/yp/n4b_22px4b592cw1fddmdnhm0000gn/T/pip-install-c2muo62g/grpcio_62c271f9e9c54cef8abda393504adcb3/src/python/grpcio/commands.py", line 263, in new_compile
          return old_compile(obj, src, ext, cc_args, extra_postargs,
        File "/Users/dishantgandhi/miniforge3/lib/python3.8/distutils/unixccompiler.py", line 120, in _compile
          raise CompileError(msg)
      distutils.errors.CompileError: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

[end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
error: legacy-install-failure

× Encountered error while trying to install package.
╰─> grpcio

note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip.
hint: See above for output from the failure.

python version: Python 3.8.12

My group has also had continued problems installing on M1 Mac.

Hey @Horizon733, which method are you using to install rasa? Can you please share the command?

I briefly googled for “legacy-install-failure pip grpcio” which seems to be the error you are getting. And some posts offer some advice, such as this one: grpcio error: legacy-install-failure with pip install [Fixed] | bobbyhadz. Can you first try to upgrade your version of pip, wheel, and setuptools using pip install --upgrade pip setuptools wheel? If that doesn’t work the post has some additional hints for Env vars on Mac.

Please let us know how it goes. I have installed the dependencies on my 2021 M1 multiple times the past days without any issues as I was working on upgrading some dependencies.

Hey @tomp,

do you mind sharing some specifics? We have multiple machines in the company and customers who are using M1 successfully.

@twerkmeister Sure, I tried the above method, but I still have the same issue, Macbook pro M1 I have is `Mac Ventura with 16gb. I am using venv for creating the environment. Can you please tell me what else you need to understand?

@twerkmeister It was a problem with installing this new Rasa package in the same environment as GCP packages. We are trying a different work-around, e.g., not installing GCP packages at all. I’ll see if we still have details to share.

Hey Dishant, did you have any luck so far getting around the compile error for grpcio? In the past some on our team got around compiler issues by reinstalling their pyenv environment again (so reinstalling the 3.8.12 environment not just creating a new venv inside of it).

hey @tomp, this seems not related to the grpcio compilation error above, right? Were you able to resolve or replicate the GCP conflict?

It may not be the same error. I just noticed that multiple people are still having trouble installing Rasa on M1 Macs despite their saying that the problems are fixed.

Sorry, I don’t have more details on my team’s installation problem. We were forced to time-box this path after spending so many days trying to install Rasa and GCP packages together without success. We are going a different route now.

Also having issues. Installation is successful but then get this (macOS Monterey 12.6)

Hi @twerkmeister, I tried installing Rasa with python 3.8.10 on Mac M1 it worked properly and rasa init worked too, but rasa train does not work, I guess it is related to TensorFlow. I am also sharing one more screenshot where Rasa was getting installed there was one warning, that might be helpful.

1 Like

@Horizon733 - I just installed Rasa latest on my Mac M1 with Python 3.9, For me everything seems to be working incl training with the basic config created by Rasa init.

Rasa Version      :         3.3.1
Minimum Compatible Version: 3.0.0
Rasa SDK Version  :         3.4.0
Python Version    :         3.9.15
Operating System  :         macOS-12.6.1-arm64-arm-64bit
Python Path       :         /Users/souvikghosh/.pyenv/versions/3.9.15/envs/rasa/bin/python
1 Like

Oh @souvikg10 thanks, let me try with 3.9

This works perfectly with python 3.9.15. including Rasa shell and rasa run commands. Thanks again!

1 Like

It’s not working for me. I have the same error with Python 3.9.15. I have Ventura 13.0.1 on M1 Mac

@codingPineAppl3 - which version of Rasa is this?.. could you try the latest rasa with python 3.10

Hello, I tried python 3.9.15 but no luck. Below is my rasa version and error code:

Rasa Version      :         3.3.1 (also tried 3.4.0)
Minimum Compatible Version: 3.0.0
Rasa SDK Version  :         3.3.0
Python Version    :         3.9.15
Operating System  :         macOS-10.16-x86_64-i386-64bit
Python Path       :         /Users/user/opt/anaconda3/envs/rasa3915/bin/python

Error message: (train model part)

$ rasa init

/Users/user/opt/anaconda3/envs/rasa3915/lib/python3.9/site-packages/rasa/core/tracker_store.py:876: MovedIn20Warning: Deprecated API features detected! These feature(s) are not compatible with SQLAlchemy 2.0. To prevent incompatible upgrades prior to updating applications, ensure requirements files are pinned to "sqlalchemy<2.0". Set environment variable SQLALCHEMY_WARN_20=1 to show all deprecation warnings. Set environment variable SQLALCHEMY_SILENCE_UBER_WARNING=1 to silence this message. (Background on SQLAlchemy 2.0 at: https://sqlalche.me/e/b8d9)

Base: DeclarativeMeta = declarative_base()

Welcome to Rasa! 🤖

To get started quickly, an initial project will be created.

If you need some help, check out the documentation at https://rasa.com/docs/rasa.

Now let's start! 👇🏽

? **Please enter a path where the project will be created [default: current directory]**

? **Directory '/Users/user/Documents/galieo-chatbot' is not empty. Continue?** **Yes**

Created project directory at '/Users/user/Documents/galieo-chatbot'.

Finished creating project structure.

? **Do you want to train an initial model? 💪🏽** **Yes**

Training an initial model...

Illegal instruction: 4

Hi @twerkmeister! Can you please provide a step-by-step installation guide for Rasa 3.3 on Mac M1 machines? I have been trying to install this on my machine, but I am facing the same issues as discussed in this thread. I have a MacPro (M1 Chip) with MacOS Monterey. Any help is highly appreciated!

After reading carefully, if you use intel based python on Mac M1 rasa would not work. But if you use general python it will work. Conda by default uses intel based python on M1. After rasa installation is you see Operating System : macOS-12.6.1-arm64-arm-64bit ( this is good ) and Operating System : macOS-10.16-x86_64-i386-64bit ( this is bad )

I suggest check your python ( intel or general ) by Mac System Settings > About this Mac > More Info > System Report (bottom) > Software > Applications > Python ( Left side ) | It should say intel or general

There is possibility of using conda also here ( I have not tried )

Make sure you use Miniforge3 step to change to arm architecture.

I used python3 venv to create virtual environment. Therefore people have success running with venv ( then you use default python which is general )

And use rasa 3.3+, and python 3.9.16 ( recent ), I think it won’t work with 3.10 as of today, but you can give a try.

Hopefully this may help